View Single Post
Unread 10/23/2017, 06:23 PM   #1
SaltieG
Registered Member

New display macro tank but need lighting help

Hello, so a bit about the system I have first off. I have a 125 reef with a 40 gallon sump. One of the chambers in my sump was home to a small fuge with chaeto. It grew well using a screw type bulb from Wal-Mart but the fuge was hard to access due to the tight constraints of the stand. Due to that I decided to start a 30g display fuge next to the main display and now they are plumbed together and share one sump. Now I can get a nice macro tank going like I have always wanted and actually be able to enjoy it.

My last issue to figure out for now is the lighting. I thought about just getting a couple more clamp on lights and running 3 over the tank. Then again I have also thought about just getting a fluorescent light and putting some 6500k bulbs in, but at some point down the line I may want to add some coral, maybe some softies for a little more diversity so in that case I will need a light that can grow both. What I was wondering is would I be able to use one of the Chinese LED fixtures but use more of the white channel as opposed to blue. Over my main display I run 3 galaxy hydro leds which have worked awesome so far. That got me to thinking on whether I could run one over my fuge and have it be able to grow macro but also be versatile enough for future coral?