View Single Post
Unread 07/16/2006, 05:26 PM   #13
COreefer
Premium Member

Quote:
My only concern with Petco is that they put their fish into very low salinity tanks (1.012-16 if I remember correctly) to kill parasites and reduce stress, as they put it. You have to be extremely careful when you acclimate their fish to your tank. I add my tank water to the bag very, very slowly over a good 2 hours vs. the normal 1 hour. That's a huge difference in salinity to account for.
Fish are the least susceptible organism we keep to salinity shock. Think about it...many people take their fish and drop it into freshwater without reprocussion. I wouldn't spend anymore time acclimating a fish from a SG of .016 to a SG of .025 than I would a fish coming from two tanks of similar values...many retailers keep the SG low as it is a less condicive habitat for parasites. It's not just some squirrly notion Petco concocted...

Equalizing PH and temperature are the primary reasons for acclimation...fish can tolerate considerable swings in SG; however, they are less tolerable to swings in ph and temp.

I guess my overall point is, I wouldn't be concerned with the SG values at any retailer unless they were extremely low or extremely high

Current Tank Info: 45 and 20G mixed reefs...
COreefer is offline   Reply With Quote