View Single Post
Unread 12/06/2017, 12:52 PM   #10
EnderG60
Plumbing Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustAClownFish View Post
Do you know why you're seeing burned tips with higher alk? When you dose vodka you reduce nutrients such as phosphate, which is known to inhibit calcification, so your SPS can take up more alk/ca, thus grow faster. In other words, the skeleton outgrows the soft tissue. It's just a cosmetic thing. If you don't like it keep your alk at a NSW level of 7dkh.
Exactly what I was asking about, thanks!

Im finding the new balance of parameters with the vodka dosing now. My original goal was to reduce my phosphate to inhibit the algea growth. I started with my nitrates at 2-4, and phosphate at 0.3-1.2. I got to a point where my nitrates zeroed out and my phosphate was still in the 0.3-0.5 range, so I started dosing sodium nitrate.

Im now holding steady with nitrates of 2-4, and phosphate of 0.01-0.03, while dosing a 450g system with 21 ml a day of vodka which I think should be a good happy spot for a mixed reef.

So now I just need to find a new dosing balance now that I have the vodka dosing figured out. My alk intake has gone up quite a bit but never seems to go above 8. If I dose it manually it jumps for a day, I get burned tips and then its back down to 8.

I just want to make sure I understand whats happening so I dont start chasing old numbers that wont work anymore.

EnderG60 is offline   Reply With Quote