View Single Post
Unread 10/24/2017, 09:48 AM   #4
slief
RC Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pedro3178 View Post
Thank you for the reply

I did take the skimmer apart to check for anything but it was all clean , I did use a soft toothbrush just to clean while I was there but I only removed the first part of the pump body at the front ( 3 screws hold it on ) I didn’t disassemble the impeller as it all look clean, I also didn’t soak anything , just gave it all a good clean. The skimmer has only been in use for 2 weeks now.

I do feed mysis and know exactly what you mean, the skimmer will stop foaming and simply drop down to my set water line for an hour or so then returns to normal. The issue I have is not that it’s not skimming but the actual water level drops so low in the chamber to around 4 inch above the pump with hardly any foam , when I power down skimmer , wait a minute, power back on it instantly returns to normal with no other adjustment, it’s as if the pump has lost some power.

Oh, I have the skimmer in 21cm of water.
Did you buy this skimmer new? If not, I would pull the impeller out. Heck, i would pull it out anyways just to make sure the bearing is inserted properly and to give it a thorough inspection. Also, take a look at the inside of the pump cover as well as the face of the needle wheel to make sure the impeller isn't hitting the inside of the pump cover. To me it sounds like you get getting some friction in there or possibly some air blockage since you are noting a lack of foam. Friction typically comes from inside the magnet cavity and or where the end of the shaft sits in the bearing. If you bought it used, the other thing to check is the foam filter in the silencer. I would take the silencer apart, clean the foam in some water, let it dry out and then put the silencer back together. While you are at it, inspect the pipe inside the silencer for dust and blockages.

Current Tank Info: 480G display mixed reef, 90G sump, 90G refugium, 60G display refugium. Check out my build thread: http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1783476
slief is offline   Reply With Quote