View Single Post
Unread 04/17/2011, 08:17 AM   #24
mess7777
Registered Member

The amazing thing here is the difference of opinion. It seems that all the people with several 1000 posts are against having sailfin/naso unless you have like 600 gallons+ .....and EVEN THEN.....etc etc.

Likely the large majority of them know by experience and had tangs in smaller tanks at one point in their fishkeeping experience.

Unfortunately us humans are a nasty bunch, and all seem to need to learn this lessons ourselves. It seems to be the same thing with Ich, water parameters etc. Very few of us(including me) get in the hobby ready to go with all of the right equipment.

Before you know it, the excitement of the new tank(and this can last months) has led you to add too much stuff too fast and now there is a sailfin, naso, hippo etc all in a 90 gallon. Just look around the internet, you will see these guys together all the time.

I know people that have a Naso in their 90 gallon for 12 years, and the thing is like his best friend, eats from his hand, follows him around the room. If fish could smile, it seems this one would.

Think about a dog, in the wild a dog would roam 100s of square kilometers roaming for food, looking for mates etc. However, give that dog some food and some love, it will live in the same 1000 square feet it's whole life and be extremely content.

I am not discounting anyone here, and certainly can't compare dogs to fish in such exacting terms.....but again when someone takes proper care of their fish and system.....well I believe this is just as important if not more so than the tank size.

I would rather see a Naso in a 90 with a great owner, than sitting in someone else's 300 gallon that let's it get dirty, never pays any attention other than throwing some food in here and there.

Flame away, this is my opinion based on my limited experience. Perhaps with time and wisdom I too will change.

mess7777 is offline   Reply With Quote