Thread: CO2 scrubber
View Single Post
Unread 08/11/2010, 10:31 AM   #18
der_wille_zur_macht
Team RC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmz View Post
Keeping alkalinity constant is very important particularly so with more sensitive corals like sps, in my experience. More so than ph as long as ph remains in an acceptable range( 7.8 to 8.5) So, using alkalinity supplements to manage ph is a poor way to do it since they add alkalinity and any bump in ph may be short lived effect since CO2 flows back in with the air and biological processes.
Here here!

Continuing on the soapbox, IMHO it is often the case that people unknowingly focus on pH as a surrogate for alkalinity, when they should just forget about pH and focus on alkalinity. Monitor pH as a secondary parameter. Proceed with caution if you are about to alter a working alkalinity maintenance regimen in attempt to solve a pH problem. Instead, nail your alkalinity regimen, then think about CO2 if your pH is out of whack as a result.

That's my approach at least, interested to hear from others if they have another take on the subject.

"It is my personal belief that reef aquaria should be thriving communities of biodiversity, representative of their wild counterparts, and not merely collections of pretty specimens growing on tidy clean rock shelves covered in purple coralline algae." (Eric Borneman)
der_wille_zur_macht is offline   Reply With Quote