View Single Post
Unread 08/22/2015, 10:09 AM   #1586
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quick reply, as this computer is ridiculously outdated and the keyboard is how-you-say..fubared.

@ Cygnis: Interesting papers! 2 quotes:

Therefore, in MIRs and MCRs of the predators on MTDs,
the general sequence was copepods > large ciliates = the
larvae of benthos > small ciliates = HTDs.

Therefore, each MTD may have a different
ecological niche from that of other MTD species. These
different ecological niches..

-end quote

-People adding copepods are probably doing the right thing. They are the most efficient predator on dinos.
-Most (if not all) dinos are actually mixotrophic and can probably switch modes under stress like the aquarist turning the lights off
-Ostreopsis cysts can survive for 6 months! That is worse than ich
-Different species of dinos may occupy different ecological niches, so interventions may be targeting the wrong thing
-Many dinos feed on heterotrophic bacteria. (and cyano) But they also mention bacterial predation on dinos, especially Ostr cysts.

I also had the impression Montireef was saving skimmate in a separate bottle. Whoops! I did wonder about temperature.

Sand bed- I am away from my books but I am sure an Authority (Calfo or Fenner in Reef Inverts possibly) said dsb wouldnot work in a tank under 2 square feet. I originally decided against trying it because I do not have access to real live sand or detrivore kits or really good live rock and just dumping dry sand does not a dsb make. Thus the non dsb friendly livestock. Nobody local has a dsb (or they are keeping it a secret) Trend here is very very much Berlin style, ulns, biopellets type systems.

-The bacterial clumping is worrying. I have only euphyllia frags and a rock flower anemone in the tank; they should actually enjoy a bacterial snowstorm. Bristle worms are being lazy, they should be cleaning it up for me!

Eutrophication is actually my goal-many infauna have direct reproduction. Flatworms are the harmless acoel type, not planaria. Hydroids are jellies yes but not too worried about them. I am trying to reproduce what happens during the initial cycle without actually boosting ammonia. I hope to see a sucession of organisms, putting dinos in their place. I have undetectable N and P STILL.

I am feeding 5mL of phyto and 5 NLS teeny pellets daily, and a third frozen mysis weekly to the anemone.

better response when I am at a keyboard that actually works,
Ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote