View Single Post
Unread 04/03/2015, 03:55 PM   #31
JSimpson
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGo98102 View Post
I am not trying to attack anyone but I am so tired of all these "dead silent" claims on pumps that are anything but. I have had 8 of those DC pumps. The bigger the pump and the higher the speed, the more noise it makes. The only difference between those Jebao DC pumps and my eventual Fluval SP6 is that DC pumps emit this very high pitch whine not unlike a hybrid car running at low speed. The higher the speed, the higher the pitch. The AC pumps on the other hand, has a low vibration hum.

If your Jebao is dead silent, more power to you- either you have a miracle pump or you are generous about your noise level. I repeat- nothing is dead silent if it has moving parts. I had to replace my Jebao's due to noise reason alone. Now it's my water changing pump.
To each his own, I suppose. I notice you've been a member of this site for about 6 months, so not sure how long you've been into reefkeeping, or how it is that you've already had 8 DC pumps that have only been out about half that many years, or why it would be that other people's positive experiences seem to have ruffled your feathers so much.

I've had probably 10 or more return pumps in the 20+ years in this hobby, and by far the DC pumps are quietest I've had. Maybe some are close to being as quiet, but I can't think of a single pump that has been quieter than my current DC-6000, or the previous Speedwave 3000. I do hear a slight whine from my DC-6000 at full speed, but given that I run it at 4 of 6 speeds, I can't even tell it's running without opening the cabinet and looking at the flow through the sump to confirm.

Again, your mileage may vary.