View Single Post
Unread 02/10/2008, 05:10 PM   #24
dots
Registered Member

If we really want to split hairs, remember the SPS, LPS, Softy categorization draws party line divisions that are not non scientific.

Ming is selling a piece by that name now, so if one was referring to that piece.......

http://www.atlantisaquarium.net/frags2.html

Sidetrack:
I like the naming thing for the pieces that transcend from "pink milli" and has taken on an identity unique to itself that separates it from the rest and resides in the reefkeeping culture for one unique reason or another. After all, the Declaration of Independence is just a musty old piece of paper isn't it?

Unfortunately, there are two groups involved: The hobbyist and the merchandiser. While my description and appreciation for this is coming from a collector and hobbyist point of view, there has been a surge in naming recently for pieces that just don't need to be. I pay these marketing ploys no bother and don't consider pieces until they are established by the reefkeeping community as valuable, not the retailers. Sure, I could name a piece tomorrow "dot's dippin' dots", but if its a turd of a coral and it doesn't stand out in the crowd, why bother naming a piece that won't be around long and slip back into obscurity as most of these do.

However, in a ever increasing competitive coral market, any sliver of a coral to be the next "big thing" will most likely get a name so that person can claim "ownership" in finding it, and tag along for the ride with the popularity of the piece. Its this reason I forsee more problems in the future of the same piece carrying two different names at the same time, and problems with phonies being slipped in, all in all creating an ocean of uniqly named pieces deviating from the original purpose of seperating the cream from the crop.

(Thats why we will confuse them and use "Pink Milli" and "Acropora sp." for the important intead since those are the "rare" ones these days)

The LE thing is still grassroots based if you think about it from the lineage and networking required points of view, which helps distract from the sticker price the mainstream demand and popularity has created.

Topic du jour:
I have always been hesitant to call the "blue" tipped millipora, "blue tipped" even.

I have been curious if it is the pigments that are blue, or a reflection from higher K bulbs and/or Actinics, and in reality are really "white"?

Yes? no?

Last edited by dots; 02/10/2008 at 05:56 PM.
dots is offline   Reply With Quote