View Single Post
Unread 01/24/2015, 08:15 AM   #88
davidfrances
Registered Member

I purchased two (2) Skimz SM 251's a little over two years ago when I first set up my DT's. I spent a fair bit of time researching the product, and finally purchased them on the advice from Aqua Cave. I subsequently acquired a SM 121 for my frag system.

Overall, I have been very disappointed with the pumps on the Skimz. The cords on two of the pumps started to leak electrical current into the water, resulting in some electrifying moments. Impellers last about 6 months, I have replaced four, and now just noticed that I have two more that have failed.

Basically, the plastic cover on the impeller magnet will swell and crack, and the pump then binds and stops. I do not run ozone in my tanks, and cannot understand why this failure occurs.

The skimmer body and construction is top notch, but my experience with the pumps is less than satisfactory. Customer service from the manufacturer is non-existent, and customer service from the retailer is poor. I have replaced a few of the pumps through the extended warranty offered by my credit card, but now even that has expired.

The cost of the replacement pumps on my SM 251's is almost $200, and replacement impellers are $100. I am just tired of dealing with these POS's.

I am replacing the Skimz on my DT's with another product, but I cannot caution people enough against the Skimz pumps.

davidfrances is offline   Reply With Quote