View Single Post
Unread 02/19/2018, 03:29 PM   #44
vlangel
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subsea View Post
Everything you described about Dragons Breath was spot on until you said not slippery. There are three species of Halymenia common to Florida, two are called Dragons Breath. I have found both to be delicate and did not have good results. Russ Kronwetter referred to the Pacific variety, as Dragons Tongue. For certain, it is more durable for mounting.
I think that Russ Kronwetter was incorrect in his naming Dragons Tongue, After some research and two other separate sources confirming the scientific name Halymenia dilatata. Also, with respect to the picture posted on Live Aquaria / ORA, one that I received did look like the picture. After less than 6 weeks in my systems, it opened up, instead of burgundy (indicating low light) it turned red with orange tips the way we like.
https://www.live-plants.com/redsealettuce.htm
Now that I am thinking of it, maybe my dragon's breath is slippery. I was thinking slippery as in rubbery or slimy and it is neither of those. It is difficult to keep it wrapped around anything because it is sort of 'slippery'.

vlangel is offline   Reply With Quote