View Single Post
Unread 10/13/2012, 05:01 PM   #119
bnumair
Dr. Reef at ur service

Quote:
Originally Posted by xxmurrxx View Post
Good info, one question and sorry if the answer is already here somewhere, just skimmed through on my phone.

If your running a perm. QT and you end up treating a fish for ich or run copper for a new tang to be sure, what's the process after he is moved to the DT?
Tear down the system and re-cycle it? Or just dilute the water and keep it running for the next fish?

Also would fish that need big tanks "like tangs" be fine in a 10g QT for the process? Assuming they are not huge when purchased.

Cheers.
good question. once copper has been run and treatment is over i do several successive water changes to get most of the copper out of the system. in my 20gal QT it take 6 x 10gal water changes to get 99% of copper out. once u reach that then i run cuprasorb and activated carbon to get the rest of copper out. but for most part tank stays running never broke down.
Tangs and fish that get big in size are ok for few weeks in a small QT. i strongly recommend a 40 breeder as a QT if you are going to keep a larger breed fish in QT. But in most cases a 20 will work fine. smaller the tank more stress the fish will face.

"Reef Fast, You Crash, Reef Slow, You Pass" Mike's Reef 3:16

Current Tank Info: 350g DT,95g sump, 50g Frag tank, 4800gph return 4x Sea swirls. 6x AI Vega Color. 200# Pukani rock, dual recirculating skimmer, Biopellet, GFO Carbon rx's, Cal rx. Closed loop. 1.5hp chiller, genesis renew. Apex & RKE
bnumair is offline   Reply With Quote