View Single Post
Unread 06/09/2005, 12:08 PM   #22
zfunk007
Premium Member

**Update**

He is officially eating like a pig. It appears that soaking the food in the Garlic Extract has worked beautifly. He's also swimming all over the tank and even comming up to the glass when I come over to look at him. He's quite a curious fish. I'm very happy about all this, although success can be measured in many degrees.

I think what I am going to do is keep updating this thread so that we can have an accurate account of a Moorish Idol in captivity. I looked at the threads blown63chevy sent to me and one in particular had ALOT of negative comments about keeping these fish. I coulden't disagree more.

My father kept salt water fish tanks back when he was a kid in the 50's and 60's. Back then about all they had was air stones and possibly undergravel filters (not even sure if they had those in the 50's). And yes its sad that many organisms had to die for us to figure out how to keep them propery but without these trials how would we ever have come to what we have today?

In my opinion its silly to bash ALL people who try to keep Moorish Idol's or any other hard to keep fish for that matter. What you should do is try and educate people on the progress that is being made in keeping hard to keep corals and fish instead of bashing them.

Be sure and tell people that as of right now, a Moorish Idol is NOT for the beginning or even intermediate aquarist. But hopefully as progress is made they will be able to be kept so many more people can enjoy this wondeful fish. Think about the progress we've made in the industry of fish and coral keeping. This website woulden't be in existence if it weren't for PROGRESS and experimentation. Lets not forget that.

As for my Moorish Idol, I plan on doing EVERYTHING in my power to make sure he has the best home he can possibly have in my aquarium. I will give him a varied diet, clean water conditions, many places to hide, food 3 times a day and most of all I will take the advice of people like Paul B and blown63chevy who are open minded and think "outside the box." Thanks guys. I'll keep you updated.

zfunk007 is offline   Reply With Quote