View Single Post
Unread 01/15/2013, 01:54 PM   #13
TropTrea
Registered Member

I like a lot on your set up however to me it seems more complex than it needs to be.

I do have some questions and comments.
In your parts lest you list
12 - True Violet (405 nm) 3W LED's
12 - Pure Violet (430 nm) 3W LED's

May I ask your source for these?

I have also been experimenting now for well over a year with LED's. I have also tried using violets on two seperate ocassions. My initial set up on a 40 breeder had 4 near UV LED's and 8 Neutral Whites running at 350 ma and 8 Royal Blues and 8 Blues running at 700 ma. It only took a week for the UV to burn out for me.

The second attempt at using UV I had them 4 of them running at 700ma, On a string with 8 Royal Blues. On a second string I had 8 Royal Blues and 8 Blues also running at 700 ma. And on a last string I had 6 neutral whites. Everyone that looked at the tank gave me the same or simular comments. Why do you have pink lighing on that tank.?

I made some changes to my second string by replacing 4 Royal Blues with 4 turquise , then later changed to other 4 royal blues to greens, but there was still a very strong noticable pink tint. Eventualy I simply pulled the UV's and the tank now looked more turquoise.

Right now I;m running 12 Royal Blues, 8 Blues and 4 Neutral Whites all at 1050ma.. I love the color combination. Personaly I would like to un some UV's and want to try something different in that area. I do believe some 410nm to 440 nm light would help the corals unfortunatly the Royal Blues only peak at 454 and there spectrum lacks under 444nm and over 459nm. The blues peak at 460 but lack under 450 and over 470. Your 430nm UV's might be a great help vor me compared to the 405's I was using.

Current Tank Info: Main tank 120 Gallon, 432 Watts T-5's plus 30 Watts of LED's, Frag 40 Gallon tank 234 Watts T-5's, 3 Frag tanks all 40 Gallon with LED lighting between 60 and 84 Watts. All LEDs are DIY Oh and then there is fresh water tanks 270 gallons
TropTrea is offline   Reply With Quote