View Single Post
Unread 12/26/2001, 10:44 PM   #4
saltshop
Premium Member

Unhappy

Not this crap again!

Originally posted by Adam
With all due respect to the good doctors opinion, there is alot of controversy surrounding this issue.

Hmmm...probably not an opinion but more of a fact based on the past 30+ years of scientific literature dealing with coral physiology, not really much controversy if one can go to the library and read a bit.

I agree with Ron that coral growth may be greater at higher temps (80-84),...

Not "may" but "is" again plenty on that can be found during a quick trip to the library.

(sudden rises in temps are implicated in bleaching events).

Actually, sustained thermal stress and not short term spikes (unless you push 100F) are what cause bleaching events. The NOAA has a nice page on their site that covers "degree heating weeks" that are used to measure the risk of a bleaching event occuring around the globe.

That said, our aquariums are alot different than the natural reefs. Bulk water movement is nearly non-existant in our tanks, bio-load is high, and our tiny boxes of water are subject to large temp swings if a heater sticks on, a fan stops or a chiller breaks down.

Speak for yourself, a well thought out system can provide for almost all of the problems you mention. Bulk water movement can be achieved in a closed system by setting up a "flow tank" or several other options. Bio-load is the caretakers responsibilty and can be kept above or below what would be considered natural. Use multiple small heaters and the risk if one sticks on is pretty minimal same can go for fans. If the tank is kept at natural reef temperatures a chiller break down will most likely not be a big deal and the tank will be able to handle a short term spike without blinking an eye.

My personal feeling is that I can live with my coral growing a little more slowly to know that pathogens will as well.

What pathogens would that be? Can you name even one pathogen that will suddenly attack a coral at 84 versus 78? What happens to the immune system of the coral when you unnaturally slow down its metabolism? Try slowing down your own metabolism and get introduced to even the common cold and then see what happens. Also there are plenty of microbes that are kept on the surface of the coral that protect against attacks from outside forces and you are slowing their metabolism as well making it harder for them to defend their turf increasing the likelihood of an onset of disease.

Years of experience by many hobbiests proves that any of the corals that thrive at 82 also thrive at temps in the 78-80 range (and even slightly lower).

Proves it how? I can beat my dog everyday with a stick and he will still be alive..that proves nothing. The only thing it shows is that they are at least keeping them above their lower thermal limit and they have not died, at least not yet. The coldest known reef has an annual average temperature of 77F so you are almost there. The average of all of the reefs in the world is a nice tidy 82F, which interestingly corresponds to the same 82-84F range that growth and health is maximized.

While I am on a rant here....I need to bring up something that has been bothering me. In one of the worthless babble arguements a while back it was stated that somehow the famed coral researcher and taxonomist J.E.N. Veron did not agree or was sceptical that temperature was responsible for the center of diversity being in the Central Indo-Pacific. I have found that was just a plain lie (as were many other statements). In reading through some of his works, he repeats almost verbatum what was printed in the AF article by Dr. Ron regarding temperature and diversity. Actually he mentions temperatures impact and latitudinal attenuation on diversity probably a good 60 times in "Corals in Space and Time" and also goes on to state that a large percentage of the corals found in the equatorial Indo-Pacific region are not found outside the region simply because the temperature in outreaching places such as Fiji is just too cold for their survival. Sound familiar?

End rant here-

Current Tank Info: 120 gallon reef