View Single Post
Unread 11/29/2015, 10:21 PM   #2266
Quiet_Ivy
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNA View Post

It is close to half a year since I added 80 pounds of live rock and now I'm seeing a decline in my SPS corals, just like I predicted.
I've seen it so many times it was simply inevitable. Only this time it took a bit longer than usual.
Do you have any theories as to why your tank declines so fast after you add rock? It just seems awfully fast.

I'm still convinced dinos are an ecosystem problem at the micro level. All the factors you mention are interrelated and our tiny tanks just don't have redundant capacity. So perhaps in your tank you can't keep a particular strain of bacteria going because something is taking it out, while in my tank I lost that little Oxyrrhis guy and the pods couldn't eat enough dinos to stop the takeover. That's why imho various methods work, they're different approaches to the same thing: increasing microbiodiversity. Take out one leg of the stool and I'm going to fall on my behind. If I'm sitting in a dining room chair, take out one leg and I'm still good. So I think it's not all doom and gloom, even though we're missing something, another bacteria/animal may come along to take its place.

I wish I lived closer to the sea; it's 2000km to the Pacific, and the reefs out there are cold water.

ivy

Current Tank Info: 28g aio, 105 watt CF lights, no sump or skimmer. 2 sexy shrimp, tiny frogspawn, tiny toadstool, tiny lps. Started Feb '15
Quiet_Ivy is offline   Reply With Quote