View Single Post
Unread 01/22/2011, 01:30 PM   #16
James404
I <3 Acros

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael_in_nc View Post
I have a pretty similar equipment list as well. Reef Octopus 3000 skimmer, but mine in internal. Vortech's for circulation. Pukani rock. I did go with the apex instead of reefkeeper, so far I've been happy, but haven't had any experience with either.

I think your lights are going to be a much nicer setup than the route I went. I went with a cheaper fixture (2x250W MH, & 4x96W PC). I wasn't impressed with the build quality, but the ballasts seem fine. I'll stick with it for as long as it works ok, then consider upgrading later.

You've got a bunch of Vortech's. I only have two right now. I'm going to start there and add more as I experiment with it. They're so pricey, but I managed to get these two used at a good price. I'm thinking about the SCWD on the main returns, but I'm not sure. I've heard strong opinions both ways on those.

Good luck. Can't wait to get the tanks in...

Very cool, the octo skimmers are a great bang for your buck. The lighting I am very happy with, the lumatek ballasts are great and I love the fact that I can switch between 250 and 400w by just buying bulbs.

As far as the vortechs, the two I am running on my 75g currently I bought as MP20's used here on RC for great prices, I then just bought the upgrade kits and ended up saving over $150 each unit. The other two I bought new from BRS during the black friday sale. It was great because I ordered about $2000 worth of stuff at once, with the sale I saved over $200 on the items and with the points that came out to be another $90 I got for free. I really love their site