View Single Post
Unread 02/28/2011, 11:38 AM   #23
Cozmo4
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 110galreef View Post
It will be interesting to see how these LED's work on this size & SPS tank. I was about to pull the trigger on a 3w Cree DIY build for my 250g SPS tank. But I quickly realized 2 250w MH & 2 140w VHO's were not much more cost savings of that of ~ 168 3w LEDS. Plus it appears I need the extra heat the MH's produce to keep my 300w heaters at bay! They are running about 15hrs as it is! Basement tank...but you are down in the heat so I bet will help a lot and save the need for a chiller too!

But w/ the sweet things I could do with color balance & optics...i will be upgrading in a few years as the cost will come down a ton in a yr or two & the LED's will even get more output, thus need less for my build!

LED's are surley the way of the future tho, I believe.
I'll get some pictures up with the lights on later. My initial shots came out more blue than what it really looks like, so I've got to mess with the white balance a bit. The water is also still pretty cloudy, so I'm not quite getting the full lighting effect yet. I've got my Vortechs running in the tank, but I don't have quite enough water in yet to get the water flowing through my sump - it's about 3 inches shy of the overflows at the moment. I should have enough water ready to get it filled the rest of the way tonight.

I considered halides, but I was too afraid that I'd need a chiller. I've got 7 T5s mounted in the canopy of my 185g and I struggle to keep the temp below 82 sometimes. I considered DIY LEDs for about 3 seconds until I realized that I don't nearly have enough of an understanding of that stuff to pull it off without doing some serious damage to me, the tank or my less than fireproof house.

Cozmo4 is offline   Reply With Quote