View Single Post
Unread 04/13/2007, 11:07 PM   #7
Pea-brain
Moved On

The mantises eyes are so complex that they literally process all the information before it is fed to the brain. The brain is too small and doesn't have the ability to process the information iteself. I believe however that when they say something has a small brain, it means that its brain is...well small. Doesn't necessarily mean that the creature isn't intelligent nor does it mean the creature isn't capable of processing info. It also doesn't take into account what other parts of the body that do work. In humans almost nothing is done without the brain, so we naturally have large brain. However mantis shrimp do not have the luxury of carrying around a large head. They are streamlined, but they still neeed to be intelligent, so secondary things like processing images would logically need to relocate or be completely removed in order to keep the brain small. They need their eyes so they evolved a way to process the image w/o wasting brain space and power. at least that is my little theory...I'm probly wrong

Pea-brain is offline   Reply With Quote