View Single Post
Unread 04/16/2011, 07:57 PM   #22
TampaReefer79
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamstipo View Post
I have yet another question edited~dc I'm pretty new here and am in the process of a 150 MR build. My stocking plan so far includes a Blonde Naso, PBT, and a yellow tang for sure. I would love to add a Sailfin somewhere down the road, but is not one I have to have, just if my tank can handle it. What do you all think?

A 150 gallon tank is not as big as you think it is. And no, a blonde naso will not fit in a 150, and neither will a sailfin tang which reaches SIXTEEN INCHES. Sorry you got into the hobby because of the naso...your tank only being 150 gallons makes me suggest against it. If you HAVE to have one, upgrade...to something around 12' long and 4' or 5' wide. And even that's on the small side.

I have a LFS near me that has a vlamingii tang that was brought in by a customer that couldn't house it any longer. The thing was in a 300 gallon tank and is a MONSTER. It's easily 18" long and THICK. I'm telling you, if you've seen a mature naso species tang, you wouldn't put one in a dinky 150.

Also, the reason you don't see mature naso species tangs in our hobby is because they perish in tiny tanks before they can reach that size. And no, sticking a fish that attains 24" as an adult in a itty bitty tank will NOT keep it from growing. Same goes for a large dinner plate sized sailfin tang.

Last edited by dc; 04/17/2011 at 11:03 AM.
TampaReefer79 is offline   Reply With Quote