View Single Post
Unread 07/16/2011, 11:10 PM   #11
IridescentLily
Editor-Reefkeeping mag

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheol View Post
Isn't that a Scoly? I'm confused, is this a different genus?
Matthew
Quote:
Originally Posted by scapes View Post
no it's not
Hi Matthew,
No, but you bring up a good point. This coral used to be classified as Cynarina Deshayesiana. In the local fish stores it has always been confused with a "cynarina" or a "scoly".
It was thought that the scolymia, the cynarina and the ancanthophyllia corals were the same sub-species, but have recently discovered that they are not the same. All three of these corals can look very similar when they're small.

And so until recently there were two cynarina species, the cynarina deshayesiana (sometimes called a meat coral) and the cynarina lacrymalis (red button coral)
Recently scientific community has decided to re-classify the cynarina deshayesiana as Acanthophyllia Deshayesiana. Not to be confused with Acanasthrea (Acans).

The Scoly and the Cynarina grow to a maximum of about 5 inches, whereas the Acanthophyllia Deshayesiana can reach a foot to a foot and a half.
The Acanthophyllia Deshayesiana is literally the biggest (known) single polyped stony coral.
Local fish stores still often have this as a "cynarina", "meat coral, "scoly", "button coral", and "cats eye coral".
Sorry for such a long, nerdy answer. I just love them, and It surely doesn't look like it right now but I've read up alot about them before i got one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by greech View Post
Hope it makes a full recovery. Experienced something similar with my scoly. Fairly long recovery but the spot feeding and covering the coral like you are to allow it to eat undisturbed helped mine great deal.
Did this way helps yours? Oh that is SO good to hear that at least it CAN sometimes be done. I appreciate the experiential support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by organism View Post
That's a shame, hopefully it comes back around! I've had healthy ones do great without feeding, but once they get bleached they need a little TLC, and boy are they easy to bleach
Are they easy to bleach? It sounds like you have experience with these as well. It's at least somewhat comforting to know that i wasn't as irresponsible as i felt. It's seems to be quite a different coral from any lps in that it needs a bit more gentleness in the tank, light and flow-wise.
Bless it's heart, i'll keep doing what i'm doing, and thanks so much for the advice.