View Single Post
Unread 11/10/2017, 02:39 AM   #2131
Tastee
Registered Member

Hi, I am a long time freshwater aquarist but new to the saltwater hobby. I’ve been going through this thread which has absolutely fantastic information about QTs. I have a question about a choice of tank for the QT I would love some feedback on.

My DT is 40 gal (200L) with a 10g sump (40L) - Red Sea Reefer 250. Currently stocked with 2 clownfish, one anemone (not yet adopted), 6 corals and 2 hermit crabs. All healthy with no sign of parasites or disease. It has been running for a little under 3 months and I am planning for the next phase in stocking. Filtration is ~60 lb live rock in the DT, the standard Red Sea sponge, Marine Pure, Polyfilter and Torque skimmer in the sump.

I want to setup a QT for the upcoming livestock and also for use as a HT if and as needed. Due mostly to space limitations in our house I plan to keep to a single tank, and not having it running permanently - run initially whilst stocking, convert to HT if needed and then take it down, clean and rebirth as HT or QT as needed in future. I plan to keep ceramic and other media in the sump seeded and ready to go to reduce cycling in the QT/HT.

I am considering two tanks for QT/HT and would like opinions as to which you would recommend. Both are easy to source in my region (Sydney Australia).

1. Aqua One 320T 36L (9 gal)
2. Aqua One Reflex 35 35L (8 gal)

The former has a hood which appeals to me to reduce evaporation, the latter is open top, making an auto top up more important. Different filtration setups also.

I currently have an older version of the Aqua One 380 which is a similar design to the 320T as my freshwater tank and it is a very robust and reliable tank with good simple and effective filtration, which also leans me towards to the 320T.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance, Brad.

Tastee is offline   Reply With Quote