View Single Post
Unread 08/21/2007, 11:26 AM   #121
MJAnderson
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally posted by five.five-six
ok, I use my ACIII to pump my kalkwasser at 8.13. after messing around with the sump fan speed and the lower limit ph I have gotten it to about match evaporation at 5 gal ~3.5 days. currently I am adding iodine to the kalkwasser. is there any reason I can not add Mg to the kalkwasser. ie: test, do the chart, add X amount of mg to kalkwasser, test again in 3 days? or can I just dump it in my sump..
One of the nice (or not so nice) things about Kalkwasser is that several heavy metals precipitate out of a solution with a PH of 12.4 (2 tsb per gallon of RO). Mag is one of them. Whatever you add will just end up in the bottom of the bucket (assuming you let it settle and just add clear limewater. A quote from Randy:

"Regardless of how much magnesium is present in the limewater to begin with, it will nearly all precipitate from solution, and clear limewater is not a source of magnesium for an aquarium. "

From this article:

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/issues/may2003/chem.htm

I can't find it now, but one of Randy's articles talked about what you can dose in kalk. I THINK one of them was Strontium.

MJAnderson is offline   Reply With Quote