Thread: Fish Won't Eat
View Single Post
Unread 03/03/2018, 09:39 PM   #4
brwaldbaum
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by billdogg View Post
I can think of a few things, with stress being a big issue. You've put 3 dwarf angels (well, 2 dwarfs and a pygmy) into a barely cycled tank that really isn't big enough for one of them, much less all three. Liveaquaria suggests a minimum tank size of 70g for the dwarfs and 55 for the pygmy. If you take a look at their compatibility chart (that I've found to be fairly accurate) it says they can be housed with con-specifics with caution. I wouldn't try two in my 120, much less all 3 in a 40.

How is your water testing with them in there? That, too, can be a problem especially with such a new tank. The denitrifying bacteria are very probably having trouble keeping up. In time they will be able to handle a comparable bioload, but right from the start you are asking a lot.

Another factor is that Rustys tend to be difficult to acclimate and at least IME, have a dismal survival rate. The Coral Beauty and Flameback tend to do much better.

You can try some spirolina enriched brine shrimp - soak them in some selcon as well. I have had great success over the years with the various sizes of New Life Spectrum pellets as well.

jm.02
Ammonia tests zero. I don't test nitrite, because it's harmless in saltwater. Since I've had fish in the tank, I've done 2 water changes: 50% and 70%.

Considering what you said about the ferrugata, I'll put her in a separate tank. With regard to the bispinosa and acanthops, both will take food into their mouth, but then they spit it out, including the blackworms. That really confuses me, because I've always found blackworms to be a surefire way to get reluctant eaters to eat.

Would symptoms of stress be evident in more than just feeding behavior? I ask because the bispinosa and acanthops seem to get along. In the 1st week, the bispinosa would chase the acanthops. Now, they share a sleeping space.

brwaldbaum is offline   Reply With Quote