View Single Post
Unread 06/03/2012, 06:43 PM   #312
daveonbass
Registered Member

Mos90: its unclear exactly what caused everything the way it did. My chiller got locked for some reason at 57 degrees (why do they even go that low!?) And so the whole tank was in a cold shock and I thought the fish were dead. I started bringing the temp up and around 65 degrees the fish all started to recover. Though my bangaiis were in bad shape and I ended up finally losing one the other day. I did a 10g water change cause that's all I had at the time. And then as the water temp kept rising the tank got super cloudy. It turns out that something to do with the temp had caused a massive bacterial bloom. (btw, first thing I did when I saw the temp was take my bio pellets off line and they havent been back on since so the bacteria bloom is weird).

The corals looked rather fine with only like 10% losses after the temp drop, so I thought it would be fine once the temp came back up. But the bacteria bloom made things worse for the corals...and then when one died it created a domino effect till I lost about 80% of my sps. LPS, and softies seem like they will be fine still, no real losses with those. And now I'm one bangaii short. And the second bangaii looks bad from a massive bristle work attack while he was frozen. The anthia and kole tank seem alright now though. I think I'm going to wait for more stability and do more wc's then start tearing off skeletons and get new frags for the tank. Not a complete start over...more like hitting ctrl-alt-delete. :/

Current Tank Info: 58g reef, 60 total gallons including rocks and sand, 36" 6 bulb ATI Powermodule, DAS skimmer, Bio pellets, 2 MP10 vortechs
daveonbass is offline   Reply With Quote