View Single Post
Unread 01/03/2018, 04:25 PM   #15
Sk8r
RC Mod

heating the rock is very dangerous under any circumstances: that is why I try to eradicate the old term 'cooking' [humorous usage] rock....no. Never any heat. nononono. In general, live rock is safe enough if kept wet, mildly warm (79 degrees) and you wash your hands scrupulously (wear gloves against cuts, etc) and do not rub your eyes. Fumes from heating are a great danger. So is water from the same situation. I kept palys back in the day and took no harm because I never cut them, heated them, drank the water, or other things you should not do. I do not encourage keeping them AT ALL unless you are expert and well-set-up. Zoas are fine. We have pix up in the stickies ^^^^^ that show you what the dangerous one looks like in life.

But the harm in marine things survives their demise in many instances: I once got nailed by a dry man-o-war tentacle I just brushed against on a beach. Ow. For days.

Salinity 1.024-6; alkalinity 8.3-9.3 on KH scale; calcium 420; magnesium 1300, temp 78-80, nitrate .2. Ammonia 0. No filters: lps tank. Alk and cal won't rise if mg is low.

Current Tank Info: 105g AquaVim wedge, yellow tang, sailfin blenny,royal gramma, ocellaris clown pair, yellow watchman, 100 microceriths, 25 tiny hermits, a 4" conch, 1" nassarius, recovering from 2 year hiatus with daily water change of 10%.

Last edited by Sk8r; 01/03/2018 at 04:43 PM.
Sk8r is offline   Reply With Quote