View Single Post
Unread 02/03/2016, 09:01 PM   #2946
34cygni
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha
Still working on the idea of how to scale up the effectiveness of adding micro life to a tank sized infestation.
My skimmer "green tea" just isn't a large enough amount to disrupt the dinos sandbed home.
An upside-down glass vessel like an old fishbowl would contain the phyto and microfauna to a small area and give them time to settle to the sand. If it doesn't work, you can increase the amount of phyto tea in the bowl and/or the time you leave the bowl in place with future trials to see if the green phyto holobiont can establish a beachhead in the sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by taricha
I think I could culture a large mass of live sand with lots of micro critters, then remove top layer of my dino sand and replace with my fresh sand.

Been done before?
Not to my knowledge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragon174
I don't want to go bare bottom, so I was thinking about slowing adding in a crushed coral type base back into the tank. Has anyone ever tried this?
As you suspected, dinos can infest tanks with coarse substrates, too.

But be of good cheer: in what is arguably the definitive description of the dirty method, cal_stir said he removed and later successfully replaced his sand bed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by seamonster124
Anyone care to explain to me why UV would be beneficial also what are the side effects?
Slow-flow UV is fundamental to the clean method.

34cygni is offline   Reply With Quote