View Single Post
Unread 11/01/2016, 09:15 PM   #1
Janetsplanet
Registered Member

Rock Flower Anemone Spawn?

Tonight, I think, I witnessed my rock flower anemone spawning at about 5:30p. Sounds like most spawning events happen between 5-6pm. White "stuff" (unclear what to call it "sperm", "gametes") was spewing from the mouth of one of my nems while another nem's mouth was gaping open.

Upon closer inspection of what I think could be the mother, there are several tiny white round things floating (quite literally) around inside her tentacles on one side of her body. I've never noticed this before (not that I was looking closely before today) and none of my other rock flower anemones exhibit white things (eggs?) floating around inside tenticals.

Has anyone ever witnessed this type of behavior? What can I expect next? Do I need to do anything?

I've read several articles, but it seems there's not really definitive information other than these nems do/can spawn and have a 1:1 sex ratio. There are also plenty of videos of the father, but hardly any info on the mothers, other than the brood typically pops up near her foot or tentacles.

Janetsplanet is offline   Reply With Quote