View Single Post
Unread 03/21/2016, 06:13 PM   #3406
taricha
Registered Member

Wanted to bring this line of thought back up...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 34cygni View Post
at this point, DinoX may do nothing more than select for dinoflagellates that are immune to DinoX. ...

But all that having been said, the combination of UV + H2O2 was played with in 2013 and '14 and abandoned, perhaps because it wasn't yet apparent that when you knock your dinos back, you have to follow through to keep them down -- nobody has tried UV + DinoX that I'm aware of, so who knows?
and also another comment from this thread that I can't find. Someone said that they had some dinos, ran UV and it did nothing, then later they looked at the microscope to find that the species of dinos had changed.

Revisiting this in the light of what I found in a beaker a couple of days ago that I was using to grow out some dinos from my sand bed. It grew a nice healthy brown sand population of a different species of amphidinium (epicone curved to the side - very distinctive) than the one that is predominant in my tank.

So thinking back on it, my dino species count from my tank is 5:
  • one weird one I got a picture of long before I had an infestation, that I now recognize as a prorocentrum
  • amphidinium that started my infestation
  • coolia that infested the back of the tank while the amphidinium were in the front of the tank (they've since mixed all over)
  • a sample of brown slime from the top of a long-dead sps frag contained a few sesame seed shaped ostreopsis whirling around their pointed end (never seen them before or since.)
  • my beaker that grew a healthy infestation of a different amphidinium species.

The last 4 all co-occured during a single infestation event. I seriously doubt my tank is all that special. It's not like I scooped up sand samples from 10 different coasts and poured them in my tank. I would be shocked if most plagued tanks don't have at least a couple of different species active at the same time. Do dinos create a more favorable environment for other species of dinos? maybe. Maybe it's just a side effect of them clearing the ecological niche for themselves.
Furthermore, I'd bet there are a ton of different treatments that I could do on my tank that might have decimated the populations of 1 or 2 or 3 of out of the 4 confirmed species I've found in my tank in the current battle. And I would report that the attempted treatment either did nothing, did very little, or possibly seemed to get rid of 99% of the dinos, but "the dinos came back", when in reality I was killing some species and others were growing to replace.

On the other hand, Pants says most dinos people sent him were either Ostreopsis, amphidinium or prorocentrum - so maybe my tank is just weirdly diverse.

taricha is offline   Reply With Quote