View Single Post
Unread 01/22/2017, 09:33 AM   #72
jsdancer
Registered Member

Its been a little while since my last post and wanted to get my thoughts down as I continue on this journey.
I picked up 7 Bartlett anthias and I have been feeding the fish twice a day.
Formula one and two small pellets in morning then alternating days with mysid, lifeline and reef mix.
Along with using the probiotic reef salt I am still dosing AF products ABEV, Np Pro and Bio S.
Once I reached 6 drops per day I noticed I was getting red cyan bloom. No biggy just means I have excess nutrients in my tank.
Here is what I started to implement in order to get rid of excess nutrients.
1. 10% weekly water changes
2. I need to change my feeding schedule from 2x a day to twice every other day. With single feedings at least daily.
3. With the Np Pro and Bio S I have cut the dosing in half to 3 drops per day.
4. With the AF Amino - Builder - Energy - Vitamins I have done the same 3 drops per day. Alternating days with no additions on Sat/Sun
I must admit that even with the cyano creeping up in certain places all corals appear to be going strong and happy. However I certainly don't want to have this bacteria growing happily in my tank. As a last resort I purchased the Boyd's red cyanobacteria but would prefer not to use it.
Fish of course are fat, happy and corals have great PE!
I have been gluing frags onto the rocks in their permanent locations on my reef. Yes it takes me awhile but again it's the whole acclimating to my lighting and tank conditions etc etc.
The process I have taken before gluing onto rocks is a bit different than what I have done in the past but I am happy that I have decided to go this route.
The selected frags get dipped in coral rx for 20 mins. While they are bathing in coral rx I prep new, never used frag plugs. After the bathing is done each frag is then cut from its current plug at the base. I check for additional eggs or anything odd by using a tooth brush and brushing the bottom of frag. From here I rinse in fresh tank water then place frag on new plug. Place frag in a holding container to let the glue set then its time to transfer to DT and glue it in its new location.
Interesting I have found odd critters with the occasional bristle worm. Finding these critters lets me know that dipping should be in at least 2 to 3 stages. 1st time after you purchase is a must. 2nd time dipping before you glue and place on rock is also a must especially if you don't use a quarantine tank.

Now for some good stuff!

The new scores!!!

TSA Bubble gum digi

TSA Rainbow Fusion

Good ole ORA and one of my old time fav's Pearlberry

Princess Peach

Not a great picture but Christmas Mirabilis - This has awesome PE from day one!

Cool shot from left side towards bottom with sponge growth next to baby hammer

Then the rest are pics of happy campers in their new locations