Thread: Vertex cerebra
View Single Post
Unread 04/18/2012, 10:32 PM   #84
Luxo
Registered Member

I do have a profilux and can tell you that the cost of the components inside with a Fujitsu CPU that is from years ago will be about $70.( dependent on production run quantities)
I have had the unit for about 5 years a few hick ups but other than that ok! The cost of profilux should have been the programming which considering has been on the market for so many years it's all paid now! However I must say they develpoed everything from Scratch! so should have been time and effort when they did years back! with Cerebra is Android so they get the OS for free but there is also a lot of work to do all the interfaces....
And the whole USB protocols...
This is how the electronics industry work and this is the reason why they are always expensive at the begining and then the price drops, The early adoptors pay for the Development costs and once that is paid the prices are reduced by the mfg to grab the mass market share, but it really didn't much with profilux!
As for Cerebra, I be amazed if the end price be as noted here! I guess they are going for the long run with this, since I doubt any other aquarium company would want to invest in R&D to develop such board!
The initial press release last year said it's an 8 layer PCB and they cost a lot to design specially with the CPU used!
Just my 2 cents working for one of the largest home Electronics manufacturers in the world!
Cheers,
Dave

Luxo is offline   Reply With Quote