View Single Post
Unread 02/21/2007, 06:05 PM   #1
pwhitby
Team RC Member

Spontaneous Spawning of Six line wrasse and Yellow wrass

Several weeks ago I noticed my yellow wrasses displaying an odd behaviour. The T5s had just gone off and the yellow wrasse pair were shooting up to the surface of the water and back down into the rocks. They were also being chased by the other fish. So I looked closer. One of them was huge, looked exactly like a mollie does when gravid, a distended lower abdomen clearly full of eggs. The other fish was very much in attendance and leading the female up and down the water column. I ran and got camera, the results are fuzzy at best...but you can see her shape. I decided not to post the pictures at the time since they were not the greatest. Last night I changed my mind. Another wrasse pair (a sixline and a 4 line) were doing exactly the same. I had noticed the 4L flashing the 6L a while back and following her about. Last night as the T5s went out they began the same swoop and dive display, but with way more vigor than the yellows. These two would splash through the surface water every few mins. Again I ran for the camera and again ended up with fuzzy pics.....but im sure you will get the idea.

I do apologize for the lack of clarity, but with lowlights and extremely fast moving fish....it was tough.

First the yellows:
here you can see the swollen abdomen...

the male leading her up from the rocks:

and at the surface, just diving back down

a fuzzy pic, but clearly shows the gravid state.

and the six line
you can see the fish on the left has the swollen abdomen

returning from the top

ready to break the surface:

----I didnt try to catch eggs or anything, but it was fascinating.

The time between my t5s going off and the MH going off is about 5 mins. All the action took place in that 5 mins.

Paul.