View Single Post
Unread 02/04/2018, 09:48 AM   #1228
mr.wilson
RC Sponsor

Well, I have a happy ending to the sad story of Peter's tank blowout. Peter is taking a break from the hobby to surface for some air. The epic tank build consumed the first five years of his retirement, which was a very healthy transition for the accomplished businessman and over-achiever. Peter & Judy & Molly have had a great break together, but he does miss you all.

Peter has graciously donated the tank and support equipment to my new retail store where it will have a second life. We were able to cut the tank down from a 24' long L, to a manageable 13' long rectangular tank. We hope to do Peter's legacy justice in its new home as our reef show tank.

So out of the ashes, the Phoenix rises. The new name for the tank is "Phoenix", as it is reborn. While the tank isn't ready to retire and move to Arizona yet, it will be well cared for in Niagara's wine region, here in Canada. Peter has promised to stop and visit Phoenix while on his routine wine route through our scenic countryside. He will get a chance to see his baby without having to roll up his sleeves. Of course we get him to feed the fish ceremoniously before he drives home with a Bentley full of Niagara's finest wines.

Here are some pics of me cutting the tank down. The sawsall cut through the 1.5" acrylic much easier than I had intended. We had one leak during the process, the city-provided main shut off for his water is located under the tank of all places. The valve was old and corroded, so it refused to give up its duty and allowed a trickle to pass thorough. A very nice city worker came out and shut the water down from the road to fix it. Hopefully Peter will post a pic of his new premium valve. We fit the tank in our 24' long trailer. We used a scissor jack cart to lower the tank and 1" PVC pipes to roll it onto the cart. Huge thanks to Jamie Grimm and his crew for the hard work and bright ideas. We bought some pneumatic flat dollies to move the tank up Peter's hill at the side of the house, then with a combination of manpower and an electric winch, we pushed and pulled the tank into the trailer. We never found out the weight of the tank, but it's got to be 1000lbs for the remaining 13' rectangle. Six people were able to move it through leverage though. There has to be a lesson in there somewhere

Before
11043226_1566738423608039_4770557896510081309_o.jpg

mr.wilson is offline   Reply With Quote