View Single Post
Unread 02/04/2018, 05:11 AM   #1
Reefer Frank
Registered Member

Salt Mix, Dosing, & Test Kits

I've read a ton of threads related to dosing 2-part and dosing equal amounts of calcium and alkalinity. What is the consensus on the topic? What about salt mix? Does everyone try to match their tank parameters to their salt mix?

I'm using Red Sea Coral Pro Salt and have to stick with it because I bought about fifteen 175-gallon buckets during BRS' Black Friday sale.

Red Sea Coral Pro Salt tests as follows:

ALK: 10.6dKH Hanna
CA: 504PPM Hanna
CA: 435PPM Salifert
MG: 1440PPM Salifert

I am going to assume Salifert is more accurate than Hanna because back in November when I first started dosing I sent out a kit to Triton and their results were lower than Hanna in regards to Calcium. Back then my tank tested at 281PPM and Triton was 249PPM.

My tank tests as follows:

ALK: 9.9dKH Hanna
CA: 385PPM Salifert
MG: 1305PPM Salifert

I dose with the E.S.V. B-Ionic 2-Part Calcium Buffer System.

According to the "JDieck" calculator I am using, I need 312ML of calcium to go from 385PPM to 435PPM. Then, only 31ML of alkalinity to go from 9.9dKH to 10.6dKH.

I use 100-gallons as the volume even though I'm closing to 130-gallons with my sump. I don't bother to include it because I'd always rather dose less than more, just in case.

Mixed reef, more LPS than anything.

Right now I'm dosing 55ML of CA and ALK daily and 60ML of MG daily. BRS suggests that I increase calcium dosing until I balance things out, then dose equal amounts.

I am hoping that Hanna is reporting high on the alkalinity as that seems to be the case with the calcium. Triton doesn't test for alkalinity so I have nothing to compare the test kits too. Waiting on my Salifert alkalinity kit to be delivered so I can compare that to Hanna.

I'm also using my own RODI water for Hanna's calcium test, but I've heard people say they get completely different results when using Hanna's demineralized water. I could never find it but it was back in stock last week at BRS so I ordered one. My RODI is TDS zero of course.

Tank is thriving by the way, don't really have any issues. I'd still like to balance the tank out though.

I change 2-gallons of water daily via automatic water change.

What do you suggest in regards to dosing?

Reefer Frank is offline   Reply With Quote