View Single Post
Unread 05/11/2016, 11:58 AM   #14
tkeracer619
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by McPuff View Post
Wow, I've never had to move anything that big! Definitely a huge feat. What did you do with all the livestock, rock, sand, etc.? And how do you plan to move the tank to its final spot? This should be a cool build for sure!
The tank and stand were a beast to move, the tank weighs something like 1,600lbs. The stand probably weighs in around 900.

The sand is in 27gal totes with water on my back porch. The rock is in a 150gal stock tank with a powerhead and skimmer. The livestock went one of 3 places. I filled my invert and coral QT with hard corals and my 100gal holding tank with a few fish. Two others are keeping the other livestock, the corals and livestock that isn't compatible with my future plans will be re-homed.

I will be using the hydraulic carts and I-Beams to move the tank into its final position. Some of the stuff I want to do is just easier if it isn't up against the wall. Getting it into the house was the easiest part of the move but it did take a lot of thought and prep to make it happen smoothly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CafeReef View Post
dat skimmer tho... looking forward to this one. I applaud your drive sir!
I was wondering when someone would notice! It is a RK2 Systems skimmer. It's 80 inches tall, is powered by a venturi, has automatic wash down, and is supposedly rated for 1000 gallons. The model number is RK2-1000 which is an old part number. The current equivalent is the RK2-10AC. It is designed to take about 10 gallons a minute, I plan on feeding it with a large Biopellet Reactor. At 10gpm it has a dwell time of 2 minutes. I have used them before and they do work though I am not sure the rating is completely accurate. Time will tell.

I plan on using my current skimmer which is a Precision Marine Bullet XL-1 with an Askoll 1500 until bioload has increased beyond it's capacity. I feel like the RK2 skimmers needs some serious bioload to be stable.

Last edited by tkeracer619; 05/11/2016 at 12:08 PM.
tkeracer619 is offline   Reply With Quote