View Single Post
Unread 12/03/2017, 11:28 AM   #6
NS Mike D
Registered Member

I think I hit a limit with posting photos. I'll figure that out.

I installed the CPR 3-sided top skimmer box. My first attempt using underwater epoxy didn't hold, so I used aquarium safe silicone. That worked fine. Even through it's plexi to glass, it held just fine and I don't expect any pressure to pull the CPR from the tank . The pump for the CPR HOB fuge isn't strong enough to do much surface skimming yet, but I expect that to change when I add the overflow plumbing to the below sump.

I installed the baffles in the sump. Not the prettiest of glass/silicone work, but they are holding tight. The filter socks and holder also arrived. The Syncra Silent 1.5 arrives tomorrow. Today I will get the plumbing.

I'm keeping this very simple. Braided vinyl from the pump to a barb tp connect a ball value and then 2 pvc elbows to u-turn over the tank. The pump can use 3/8-9/16 hose, so I'll have to see what Home Depot has in stock and how I can match it to pvc. The return pipe will terminate about a half inch below the water line to limit back flow.

Since I have 3/4"pvc on hand, I will go with that for the overflow. I plan on making a u-turn with elbows starting about an inch below the water line in the CPR so the cpr will break the siphon in case of a power outage. I will install T near the top with an elbow and cap and a ball valve at the end of the pvc where it meets the vinyl so that I can prime the pipe if the siphon breaks.

Some quick says the 10 gallon sump can handle the back flow of an inch from the 29 gal DT and what back flows from the gal CPR. The sump is 12 9/16" high, the high baffle is 8" and 5" wide and the rest of the tank is 7" so I have about 4 gallon back flow capacity. One inch drop from the DT is 1.6 gallons. The CPR back flow is another 1/2 gallon.

I am making an ATS for the sump. The LEDS and power arrived the other day. It will be submerged with an air stone with the LEDS on the outside held together with magnets. Not sure if that will be overkill since the CPR is packed with cheato, but for now I need to over feed to keep the mandarin happy. I am thinking of adding rubble to create a semi-cryptic zone.

NS Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote