View Single Post
Unread 04/20/2018, 05:52 PM   #96
Sisterlimonpot
R.C. Fraternity President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty Old Shellback View Post
Well now that you have a stand, we should be expecting water in the tank in say 2 weeks?
Stand looks good.
I don't know, I haven't planned the plumbing, nor the sumps yet. I like to call this tank a virgin tank in the aspect that there's only 1 hole drilled and I probably wont utilize it, So I have to drill holes and because I have to order all the bulkheads, gate valves, ball valves etc, I want to get it all at once and not have to nickel and dime shipping costs. That means I have to sit down and do some planning...

2 weeks? I'd love to say yes but realistically, I don't see it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishguy597 View Post
Wow it's really coming together nicely.

I haven't had a chance to read the link to the thread you posted. However why is the beam only on the backside of the stand? I like how you had to accommodate for the ledge.
Are you talking about the link for the stand? If so, I haven't read it all either. RocketEngineer did a good job consolidating everything after the split. I skimmed through the thread trying to find someone with an 8' tank but couldn't find it. That's why I asked the structural engineers in the DIY section.

What I gathered from reading the thread was that 1/8" deflection at the center of the beam is acceptable. I upped the ante and only allowed 1/16th of an inch deflection. And further more, realistically the beam will only see 1500 lbs, but when talking with the engineer from the company that manufactures the beams, I gave him 2000 lbs load with 1/16th defection criteria and this beam will meet my standards and then some. In the future I have an idea to incorporate a removable shelf that I can stand on so I can work with ease from behind, the beam will be able to handle that extra weight.

Finally the reason for only requiring a beam on the back is because I wanted to have complete access to underneath the tank without having to work around center columns, the front is held up by your standard 2"x4" studs 16" on center. that will hold the other 1500 lbs and then some.

Dishes are done man!

Current Tank Info: 300 in progress
Sisterlimonpot is offline   Reply With Quote