View Single Post
Unread 01/16/2016, 09:09 PM   #7473
biecacka
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floyd R Turbo View Post
Ah. I would say you can get that light literally as close as you can safely put it. That's how to get the intensity out of it.

It's actually better growth than I've ever seen out of that form factor of light. I would still say though that the fixture somewhat limits the amount of algae you will be able to grow. Here's my guideline for high power LEDs

So if you follow my recommendation for a pre-made fixture of 0.5W/sq in, that would mean:

9x6 = 54, 54 * 0.5 = 27W at the wall.

Theoretically, that 45W fixture should work, the issue is the individual LEDs themselves are not very powerful, so maybe the fact that it is nearly double the "27W at the wall" is helping. My guideline above is only valid for 1W and above individually rated LEDs.

All that being said, it's obviously working on your screen on one side so I don't see why it wouldn't work on the other side also. Even if you "de rate" the fixtures by 50%, you're still in line with the guideline, so I'd say you're good
So for a 12x7 screen which is 84 sq inches....how many cubes is that? Then when you say 1 led per the equation 84/8 so that is rounded up to 11. So is that 11 fixtures per side?? Or how many watts/fixtures do you recommend? Is 12x7 maybe too large?? 30 fish in my tank so I need to feed a fair amount. If it's too large, what is a good size for say 4-5 cubes a day?

Corey

biecacka is offline   Reply With Quote