Thread: Return Pump
View Single Post
Unread 02/09/2018, 11:34 AM   #6
Zalick
My reef tanks my wallet

Quote:
Originally Posted by john fidler View Post
Hi,

I'm in the process of setting up a new 75 gal system (to replace my old 75 gal system - incorporating lessons learned).

Trying to decide on a return pump. Looking to get about 500-600gph at about 5 feet of head. I currently run a MAG12 (which honestly I have had no problems with for over 5 years) and I have another new MAG12 that I was thinking of using for the new tank (I would be teeing off for a sump fuge and can also valve it down if need be to reduce output). My only concern with the MAG12 is energy efficiency and maybe noise (although to me it doesn't seem that bad).

Should I just use the MAG12 or what would you recommend in lieu of a MAG12? Not really sure I'm interested in DC pumps since I don't quite understand the advantage for a return pump. Unless, you guys convince me I'm thinking old school or just wrong. Cost is of a concern (like to keep it around $200 or less), but I'm looking more for reliability and energy efficiency so willing to go a little higher if need be.

Thanks for any replies/thoughts.

John
I used to run a mag 12 for return. Switched to the vectra L1 because my tank is in the middle of my living room/dining room and kitchen, so noise was an issue even though the mag 12 wasn't that loud.

If noise is not an issue, I would keep the mag 12 and not waste the money. You can adjust the flow with a valve, so no real advantage over a DC in that respect. It would take a long time to recoup $200 in energy savings too.

Current Tank Info: Me v Dinos - I'm winning for now...
Zalick is offline   Reply With Quote