View Single Post
Unread 01/31/2018, 07:01 PM   #9
ackee
Registered Member

I thought I'd made it clear that I have been collecting fishes in the Caribbean for several decades now, since the 1970s, maintaining them in box bags for up to two weeks, bagging and flying back with them to the states. I collect with both scuba and snorkeling, using hand nets I build myself. before 9/11 I'd carry the fishes on board the plane. Since 9/11 i have had to pack a smaller number for check through. I've never lost a fish in transit.

Catching them is an art and a great source of enjoyment. I'd never use drugs of any kind. I 've collected in Jamaica, Dominica, the Virgin islands, The Dominican republic, Panama, and several other places. Meticulous planning and bringing everything needed with you is essential. keeping them alive and healthy in your room requires a well set up series of box bags in cardboard boxes or cheap plastic bins, the only items I don't bring with me. Packing requires some experience with shipping fish. Customs has never been a problem, even in the old days when I might have a dozen or more fish. Now I only collect 2 or 3, sometimes only one. Customs is mostly interested in drug smuggling. I posted a picture of what they did to my checked through cooler chest, drilling holes to look for drugs but not harming the Spotted Drum in any way. I've posted at great length in years past on this board about collecting and transporting, as have others. it's nothing new and not at all unusual.

Years ago, when flying was uncomplicated, I would take small groups of marine aquarists to the Caribbean to collect their own fishes. I did this several times with great success. Most were only snorkelers, so i caught deeper fish for them, like Blackcap Basslets, Cherubfish, Royal grammas etc. Small angelfishes are often found in less than 5 feet of water, so my crew were all able to catch, with my help, a queen or a french angel. Over the years customs people have told me that they often see people bringing in live fish. They did not regard it as any kind of problem.

Last edited by ackee; 01/31/2018 at 08:18 PM. Reason: addition
ackee is offline   Reply With Quote