View Single Post
Unread 11/07/2012, 11:48 AM   #1
JohnV8r
Registered Member

Denitrification Reactors vs Vodka Dosing

I have a quick question about using denitrification reactors versus vodka dosing an entire system.

I currently vodka dose 3.3 ml per day via a doser that delivers .825 ml every six hours.

Throughout my vodka dosing experience I have learned little nuances like where in your system you dose impacts potential cyano outbreaks and dosing via a doser vs single dosing by hand allows better control of the overall result.

I have always wondered what impact vodka dosing may or may not actually be having on coral coloration. For example, most of my chalices turn purple (e.g. when I put green mummy eye chalices in my tank, they will turn purple with peach to red colored eyes). I also have some of the proverbial burned tips on my acros.

I recently saw a video of a DelTec Denitrication Reactor that was using vodka as it's food source for the bacteria colonies in the reactor. That prompted these questions:

1. Is a denitrification reactor that uses vodka as its food source a suitable way to contain any potential side effects from vodka dosing an entire display tank?

2. Would you lose the beneficial impact on phosphates that vodka dosing an entire system has if you limited the introduction of vodka to a denitrification reactor? It is my understanding that some phosphates bind with certain materials...does that mean you have to take the phosphate eating bacteria to the phosphate or would vodka dosing a denitrication reactor simply concentrate the benefit in the reactor the same way a GFO reactor does?

Thanks in advance.

Current Tank Info: 175g reef (48"L x 28"D x 30"H), 15g Refugium, 30g Sump w/ASM G3 (gate, mesh, & recirc mods), 10K GPH flow via 3 Tunze 7096 + return, ATO via Tunze Osmolater, 2x250W Radiums, GFO, Carbon, dosing vinegar/vodka, Alk, Ca, via 3 BRS dosers & Apex.

Last edited by JohnV8r; 11/07/2012 at 11:55 AM.
JohnV8r is offline   Reply With Quote