View Single Post
Unread 10/05/2006, 11:55 AM   #14
H.crispa
Registered Member

I stand corrected. However, it still does work. You do have to clean the electrodes by wiping them off before each dip and take 3 to 4 readings to make sure it is reading consistently. This little gizmo is not perfect or anything but it is a cheap and fun little project just the same.

Interesting you should mention stainless steel. Many of the multimeters have SS probes or at least plated ones to resist corrosion. The plating probably has its own effects on conductivity, particularly when you run DC current through them and go from one type of solution to another. In any case, this "redneck 'ec meter'" is reasonably accurate when used in the above manner. I certainly would not use it for any type of chemistry experiment or anything else where if a reading is slightly off it can screw up the whole thing. Still, "redneck" is the operative word at this point. Perhaps I should change the title of the post???

Thanks for your input on this, I love to lean new stuff and you have given me some stuff to chew on for a while.

I am by nature a tinkerer, not a chemist. I just know a little about a lot and a lot about a little-- Just not a lot about a lot.

You know-- there IS ONE kind of "job" that you can get that does NOT disqualify you for unemployment!

Current Tank Info: 20 gal hex 30lbs fiji rock, 4 28 watt pc lamps (2x 6500k and 2x 7100k)various corals, 75 gallon w/2x 250 watt 10,000k MH and a 400watt 12,000k in the center, 90 lbs fiji and tonga rock sps, open brain, frogspawn, purple Heteractis crispa clowns etc
H.crispa is offline   Reply With Quote