View Single Post
Unread 01/07/2011, 01:12 AM   #1
jcolletteiii
Registered Member

Aquaillumination owners settings poll

So there are too many variables to set this up as a 'click the box' poll. I'm interested in what settings people are using with their AI LED setups. I think that a great many people suffer through the AI setup process, guessing at what light levels to set, how long to run the lights, how high, etc. It would be nice to have a thread listing different people's settings, as well as a little bit of info about how everyone's systems have responded since making the switch, and any useful morsels of information you've gleaned from using these lights. Something like (left it blank for easy copy/paste):

Tank size -
How long you've used AI for lighting -
Type of modules you're using -
Number of modules you're using -
Approximate spacing between modules -
Approximate height above water -
Approximate height above tank bottom -
Total photoperiod length -
Blue % setting -
RB % setting (if Sol blue) -
White setting -
Predominant organism type kept (SPS/LPS/softies/FOWLR) -
How have your corals responded after the switch to LED? -

I'll kick it off.

Tank size - 36 corner bowfront
How long you've used AI for lighting - ~ 8 mos, but used LED exclusively for 2 yrs.
Type of modules you're using - non-Sol white with 6 Sol white emitter pucks added.
Number of modules you're using - 3
Approximate spacing between modules - 4"
Approximate height above water - 9"
Approximate height above tank bottom - 28"
Total photoperiod length - 10 hrs (w/ 1 hour sunrise and 1 hr sunset)
Blue % setting - 45
RB % setting (if Sol blue) - n/a
White setting - 25
Predominant organism type kept (SPS/LPS/softies/FOWLR) - SPS
How have your corals responded after the switch to LED? - A loooonnnngggg setup period of having to figure settings out by trial and error. Burned more than a few frags with way too much light. Got placement all wrong a few times. Blamed the lights a few times for some minor bleaching events when the problem was probably caused by GFO (not needed IMO w/ biopellets). Only reason I'm running 3 modules is that I recently downgraded from a 135 and had four modules. Will probably reduce it down one more and go with just two. Will transfer the new Sol white pucks (which use Cree XRE royal blues, and not the regular blue emitters which are more of a cyan color) so that my white emitter mix will be half cool white/ half neutral white, and the blues will be half royal blue/ half regular blue. Would be nice if AI would come out with custom pucks - have some pucks on hand with 2 neutral or warm white XPE's with the third spot left blank. Then offer a few options to install in the third spot. I'd like to see cyan, violet, deep red, and green. I think that would nicely round out 'dead spots' in the color rendition of certain colors.

So what are you guys/girls settings at? (please - AI users only!)

Current Tank Info: 16g biocube
jcolletteiii is offline   Reply With Quote