Thread: Bleach vs Acid
View Single Post
Unread 10/11/2016, 12:19 AM   #609
hitawaah
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bertoni View Post
Lye added to fat will create soap, so I'm not surprised that you saw some issues. I've done that experiment with olive oil. I would rinse the rock very well, and let the skimmer get out the soap, or maybe give it an acid bath, if that didn't work.
Absolutely correct, For hundreds of years( before the big manufacturers made soap in huge amounts to be sold at the store) Lye mixed with fat and say lavendar which gives it a good smell and grows wild was all that was used in the U.S. People made thier own soap for laundry so it isn't surprising at all that was the end result at all. I agree with bertoni your best course of action is to rinse and repeat many times if needed. I personally would only acid wash your rock(not sure what kind you have) as a last resort. IMO acid washing is about the nastiest and toughest thing you can do to your rock as anything I have ever seen. I speak from experience my pukani is still in a brute tub after an acid bath roughly six plus weeks ago leaching phosphates which I'm grabbing by using phosfree and a 10 micron filter sock with my pump directly blowing water through it. Just washed the socks yesterday to what I believe will be my final few weeks(my phosphates where .04 ppm) in the brute tub then I'm gotta let the rocks set out for another month or two. Rinse, Rinse, Rinse if you can. GL with your rocks!

hitawaah is offline   Reply With Quote