View Single Post
Unread 05/05/2009, 10:41 PM   #5
dipan
Registered Member

This is a great idea and is very much like what I was planning on implementing. Only for me, I was planning on diverting some flow from the return pump (controllable via a ball valve/union) to a combination frag tank and refugium. Then I was going to use a LM3 much like you are to take water and divert it directly to a small 20-30 gallon quarantine tank that then overflows to drain. I was just going to use a powerhead for flow and have a small heater in there. That way a quarantine tank is always available and will actually be used.

You could divert flow from your return to the frag tank which could overflow into your sump. You wouldn't even necessarily need a heater in there because it's cycling through your main system. Then possibly use your LM3 to divert flow to another tank that you could use as a QT that would always be available. Or maybe even partition your existing frag tank off for that purpose. Whatever fits best for your space.

Question ... if you use a combo QT/frag tank to treat fish and stuff, do you want the meds to also be in there with your frags? I suppose your partition would kinda serve as a 1-way path for water where you could just medicate the last section. Some may cross over, though, depending on turbulence from powerheads ...

dipan is offline   Reply With Quote