View Single Post
Unread 01/06/2017, 09:48 AM   #108
Blink2824
Registered Member

January 2017 Update:

I finally caught my Flame Angelfish with the Aquamedic trap after about a week of attempts. No more nipping at my SPS and since I have removed him I am already seeing a bit more polyp extension (PE). I notice many other tanks on this forum that have great PE with their acropora species both through the lighting period and at night. I have amazing PE at night but not so much during the T5 lighting period... is this common?

I decided to replace the Flame Angelfish with a Starcki Damsel (chrysiptera starcki). He is a good looking specimen and eating. We'll see if he works out with the other tank mates in due time. Along with this divers den purchase I received an ultra maxima 2" clam in which I woke up to a clean shell on day two... not sure if it was a shipment/stress issue or if something in my tank had a nice meal. I can't really think of what species would eat the clam but given how happy/healthy it looked after acclimation I find it hard to believe it just died on me. Regardless, the clam is now dead and I will probably wait for a bit before attempting again.

I ended up buying a small oregon tort frag, ORA Hawkins Echinata and stawberry shortcake to replace some other frags that previously RTN on me due to unstable Alk levels. Now my CaRX is dialed in, my parameters have been reading steady, and I am performing a 30 gallon water change every 10-14 days. I was able to frag and sell a few zoanthids locally here in Kansas City and am using that cash to most likely purchase a reefbrite blue XHO strip to supplement the T5. The baby is getting bigger (just passed 4 months) and money is getting tighter but the timing is good and I am happy sitting back and watching all of the life in the display tank start to settle in and grow.

Oh... I also decided to do away with the "filter cylinders" that I purchased with my lifereef sump. I did not like the design or performance of the filter canisters and am replacing with the BRS GFO/Carbon reactor.

Hope to take some time this weekend to put some updated pictures up. Thanks for checking in ReefCentral!

Blink2824 is offline   Reply With Quote