View Single Post
Unread 09/05/2017, 08:16 AM   #30
cboberg
Registered Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvitko View Post
My experience with cyano is that lighting spectrum is a big culprit, I have seen it only grow in areas getting direct sunlight. I have also found low flow and low oxygen levels can contribute, usually with cyano I treat with hydrogen peroxide, 1 tsp per 50 gallons per day, this seems to defeat it within 2 weeks though it may come back if the underlying cause is not resolved, lights off for 1 day will accelerate the results. I have learned dosing hydrogen peroxide is controversial but I have never had any issues, there is some discussion it can cause a toxic byproduct with iodine and bromine in the tank. I believe the Care Bacter may help, primarily by decomposing detritus it may be feeding on or that is lowering the redox and dissolved oxygen. Carbon dosing does seem to aggravate existing cyano blooms in my experience, I have some in my DSB visible on the sides though it below the surface and I have been playing with Vitamin C dosing lately and after a dose it pops up on the sand bed top.
I didn't purchase it for cyano. I purchased for the algae I haven't been able to get rid of. My lighting is pretty blue with the spectrum I run my kessils at. The tank doesn't get a ton of sunlight and there's a lot of flow. In keeping mixed reefs for nearly 20 years, I've never had one give me this much trouble. I thought it was interesting the cyano quickly started to go away. My coral didn't care about the product landing on it. I too thought it cleared up quickly and had no issues once my skimmer came back on...

cboberg is offline   Reply With Quote