View Single Post
Unread 11/26/2009, 10:08 AM   #14
teesquare
Coral Curmudgeon

Randy -
I would like to explore the similarities/differences in Balling -vs- 2 part that you recommend.
I have the feeling from what I have read on other web sites ( I don't know if I can post them here - or quotes from them) that there is not arbitrary dosing of anything.....Testing - just like testing for any other method/system is the yardstick by which one would determine when, or what to dose. This seems to apply to the organics, and trace elements.
Once an initial period of testing for what and how much consumption of the major contituents of the seawater is established - then - and only then is it recommended that you can set up dosing those ( the CA, Mg, and ALK, and there may be more - not sure) via manual, or automated methods.

I think that - because most of us that have been involved in this hobby for a long time - have seen MANY manufacturers of "magic sauce" come and go - but mostly leave us with our systems in a worse state than before - well ...we have become fairly suspicious of anything new. I agree with this - but, in all of the reading I am currently doing on the "Balling" method - even the manufacturer's of product to support it recommend starting at 1/4 of the stated doses, and increase very slowly - because we cannot at the level of the hobbyist in general, *know* for a fact the exact quanities of the minor, and trace elements. (personal conversation w/Claude Shumacher - owner of Fauna Marin)

So - I am happy that with some manufacturer's - there is a change in the "push" to buy the product, and potentially over- dose.

What does make sense to me ( on the level that I can makes sense of it) is that the Balling method is designed to help prevent ionic im-balance between the major constituents of the seawater.

The build up of chlorides with other methods seems to be the central issue that Balling sets out to address.

I do hope we can have Claude, or one of the other authoritative folks on the subject wade in, and discuss with us all their perception of and reason behind the Balling method.

All I ask is that - we try and keep an open mind here. I just spent a lot of time being embarrassed by the rude comments on a thread devoted to the new NP pellets. I understand the suspicion - but, please guys - we are here to learn. We must have some respect - even if we dis-agree. Again - I agree that caution is the best policy when considering any change in our chemistry.
T

Current Tank Info: 700 gallon combined reef/frag systems - 650gal Cichlid system
teesquare is offline   Reply With Quote