View Single Post
Unread 01/16/2018, 01:58 PM   #81
nogascans
Registered Member

Very interesting and openly debated thread which I find refreshing. I don't have much scientific input to add (took a high paying job and never used my marine science schooling).

An observation of my experience and to see if anything may relate. In advance I am sorry if there is nothing here to add to discussion.

I recently (Late December) put together a new tank (Red Sea Reefer 750XXL), and moved over a week all my livestock, rock (new sand) from existing 90 bow-front to new tank.

Older tank was sump-less, and utilized a Bio-Pellet reactor with HOB skimmer which has been in use for last 4+ years. Tank was a mixed/heavy SPS tank, and fish health was always good, coral growth/coloration average with growth and good/not great colors. Generic 6-Bulb T5HO for lighting. Older tank was never an algae magnet, and never saw any HA, Bryopsis, or Dinoflagellates during tank life.

New tank has a sump and I transferred Chaetomorpha/Pods from established system to new tank. Did not run a normal cycle, but instead relied on existing Bio-mass in substrate (130 lb. of existing encrusted rock). Using a new R/O Classic 202S, 3100 GPH return pump, and pair of MP40QD for filtration and flow. I used all new water (Fritz) at same parameters as old tank for Alk, Ca, and Mg (8.5, 430, 1380). ATI 8 bulb T5HO for lighting in tank and LED light for Sump.

I have monitored for ammonia and never saw any measurable signs. I had no noticeable negative effects to corals, and continued encrusting was noticed from day 1. I used PAR meter to adjust lighting to previous tank lighting to try and eliminate any coral shock. I did note immediate improvement in coloration on all SPS, along with some initial lightening of LPS present. Chaeto has grown at a steady state. I have been fighting very low Nitrates <1 (Red Sea) and phosphates <.17ppb (Hanna ULR).

I did experience the "normal" diatom bloom with new rock (was washed before use. I have been fighting a small Dino outbreak at week 3, and not sure if part of a mini-cycle or some of the imbalance issues discussed here with reduction or loss of colonized nitrifying bacteria cultures. Not a terrible by any means outbreak, and use of filter bags has eliminated most of signs without lighting reductions.

Other than a swift and complete stop to organic dosing, I just thought my case was worth mentioning and that it might show some light on the subject being discussed.

Sincerely,

David

nogascans is offline   Reply With Quote