View Single Post
Unread 05/29/2011, 05:47 PM   #56
SushiGirl
Premium Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dzhuo View Post
I don't believe the after-mentioned gobies are hard to maintain long term even in a medium size tank. Unlike other sand sifters, this particular one is quiet hardy provided that you are willing to feed it daily. A few years back, there were generalized statements about certain sand sifters which do not accept any prepared food and their long term survival is low. This slowly turns into all sand sifters are impossible to keep. There were also lots of misconceptions about DSB (also a few years back) which would provide enough micro-fungas for the sand sifters to feed on to a point you don't need to feed him. For those who are following these recommendations, we certainly know they weren't true so lots of people end up not having a good experience with these fish. Now that it becomes more apparent that it's highly unlikely a sand bed in a closed system would provide anything nearly enough food these fish need so we know we need to feed.
I kinda figured that was the case. It was interesting coming back into the hobby just after 6+ years to see the changes in "philosophies" on a lot of stuff. When I first started, the DSB and bioballs were all the rage, no one knew about caulerpa going sexual, Carpenter's wrasses were $24.95 and recommended for 30 gallon tanks, pistol shrimp were the scourge of the tank, and feeding only a couple times a week was never mentioned.

SushiGirl is offline   Reply With Quote